Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Anybody home?


Our neighbors' little 4-5 year old kid must found this cool turtle shell. At least I think he did... He ran up to my sister and gave it to her as a present. XD

I think it's a Yellow-Bellied Slider, because of the markings on the shell and the yellow at the base.
These turtles can be found from south eastern Virginia to northern Florida, living in freshwater habitats, such as our lagoon.
I read the juveniles are more carnivorous, eating stuff like insects, tadpoles, dead fish etc., while the adult prefers things like roots and stems, fruits and leaves, that sort of thing. The little sliders can't swim as fast as the fish, so if they catch fish, they were probably unhealthy.
If you've been to Hilton Head, you've probably seen them somewhere basking on sunken logs, or on the banks of lagoons. I think especially cool/cute when they all stack on top of one another! I have to see if I can get a picture of that..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm staying in Sea Pines for a week....Do you have any recommendations for beachcombing? My daughter and I would love to find some sea glass.

Do you know what kind of bird makes that deep honking at night? There is a lagoon behind my villa.

Your blog needs a palmetto bug! Yikes, they're HUGE!

Wildlife Watcher said...

Thanks for posting! You might be gone by now though... :S By recommendations do you mean what to bring to beachcomb or what to find? Usually all I bring is a ziploc bag, sunscreen, and maybe a camera.

The last couple of days I've found a lot of whole baby Sand Dollars, which is rare, and a whole lot of jellyfish washed up. Watch out for them!

Unfortunately, I've never found sea glass at our beach. And very rarely bits of bottles either. Sorry bout that.. :/ I'd be collecting it if I could find it!

About the honking.. I think those are Green Tree Frogs! http://seapineswildlife.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_archive.html is one of my older posts about them, if you want to read it.

And on the palmetto bugs_ Thankfully our exterminator does his job too well for me to take many pictures of those. XP

Thanks again for posting, I hope you read this message before you leave. :)

Unknown said...

ARe turtles hunted over there for thier shells..?? Or that shell was taken out after the tortoise died his natural death..??
Turtles are also among the most endangered species of the world

Shobin
Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step