Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Carolina Anoles


This is a photo of a Carolina Anole (AKA Green Anole) in my hair. This one looks almost exactly like the one I saw today on my bike ride ! Anoles live everywhere around Sea Pines, From The Sea Pines Forest Preserve to my backyard! They have red wattles, and will puff 'em out if they're frightened or if they are trying to attract a mate. They can also change colors from green to brown, like a chameleon. I wonder why they called it a Green Anole, if it can change colors?! These eat all sorts of insects and spiders, including cockroaches! Yuck! :(' This one is pretty young, by the looks of him, and very delicate at that. If you break off an anole's tail at a certain point, it will grow back. But I do not suggest doing this to see what happens, because it probably hurts the lizard. I'm not sure, as I have not read anything about whether it hurts or not, and I have never experienced being a lizard when i's tail gets pulled off. :/

No comments: